Search Fit-In-Fitness

Monday, March 9, 2009

Improve Health with Acupuncture

Kelly Gonzalez
Busy Bodies
Health and Fitness
Date Published: January 28, 2009

Improve Health with Acupuncture

I love delving into new things, especially when it’s health and fitness related. One aspect of Australia that I find particularly intriguing is the emphasis on holistic health. Holistic health care embodies treatment for the body, mind, and spirit. Examples of holistic health practices include yoga, meditation, massage therapy, Chinese herbal medicine, and acupuncture.

I have tried and tested all these methods. Each one is incredibly valuable in increasing overall health, and I’ve received the benefits that each offers, but the one I was most nervous about trying was acupuncture. I’m not a fan of needles. I have to lie down and close my eyes when blood is drawn at the doctor’s office; afraid I may faint.

I entered Dr. Charles Lu’s office of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture out of pure curiosity after walking by numerous times a day. The sign outside said “Treatment for…insomnia, allergies, headaches, muscle pain, anxiety, eczema, weight loss, back pain, arthritis, digestive disorders.” I didn’t have any condition I was aware of, but figured I would inquire about how it works.

Dr. Charles did a very quick examination to see if my qi (pronounced chee) or “life energy” was flowing throughout my body properly. He felt my pulse in both wrists, examined my eyes, and tongue. I was skeptical at first. It seemed a bit too basic to reach a conclusion regarding my health.

By feeling my pulse Dr. Charles was examining the meridians of the body. The body’s meridians are “a network of invisible channels throughout the body, if the flow of the qi (life force) in one of the meridians is blocked or there is not an adequate supply of qi, then the body fails to maintain harmony, balance and order, and disease or illness follows” (Australian Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine Association).

Dr. Charles said there was not enough qi in my liver meridian, which causes stress and anxiety. I decided to try acupuncture. I have to have more qi in my liver meridian, right? Dr. Charles said if the meridians stay blocked it could eventually lead to cancer and other illnesses.

I threw a million questions out to Dr. Charles, about any pain incurred, how deep the needles go, how and why it works, if it’s really beneficial, etc. Dr. Charles, being a very calm man with broken English was not extremely helpful in answering my multitude of questions. I surrendered, lied down on the table, and watched him draw sterile needles from a pouch.
There was no pain involved, barely even a pinch as the needles were inserted into my liver meridian points which lie on the inside of the leg, just above the ankles. The needles were very fine. The needles work with the electrical circuitry of the body; causing a steady vibration that promotes healing and allows the body to regain balance and harmony.

I remained still on the table for about 20 minutes before Dr. Charles returned to dislodge the needles. Since I wasn’t treated for something more measurable it’s hard to say whether it worked or not. I did sleep very well that week. I’m not sure if it helped reduce stress, because it’s difficult to be the least bit stressed in my location, and current situation.

Many studies have been done on acupuncture to prove that it provides lasting pain relief. By examining the brain images of subjects in pain, a study at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey found that subjects’ pain was reduced by up to 70% with acupuncture.

Many people rely on medications for pain relief and suffer from side effects. Acupuncture is non-addictive, has no side effects, and can provide relief for months. It is one of the “oldest and most long-standing health care systems in the world” (AACMA). Originating in China, this form of Eastern medicine focuses on creating wellness in the whole body, treating and preventing disease. Many Western medicine philosophies focus primarily on relieving pain for a short period of time and require constant use. Acupuncture treats the symptoms, strengthens immunity by increasing T-cell counts, and helps the body protect itself from future problems.

Acupuncture therapy may relieve symptoms after just one treatment, while other conditions require multiple and regular treatments. Many body clinics and massage therapy practices offer acupuncture.
The abundance of Eastern medicine and holistic health practice in Australia affects the cost. An acupuncture treatment costs about $20-30 in most clinics on the Gold Coast owned by Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioners. In the states acupuncture normally costs about $75-90 for the initial visit at most clinics.

If you find you’re constantly reaching for over the counter remedies for pain relief, cold and flu symptoms, or digestive disorders, try another alternative and call an acupuncturist instead. You may be amazed with the results.

No comments: